, Inc. (800)515-2423 | (702)248-2423 Mon-Fri 8am - 5pm(PST), Sat 10am - 2pm, Sun Closed

Midland Radio

Midland Radio

For a two-way radio that works as hard as you, there's Midland. For a radio battery that lasts as long as you, turn to, home of Batteries for life! Whether you need a radio that will be ready without notice to provide you with weather information, or one that will stay with you through continuous, day long work, you can trust us to have the battery you need.

Two-Ways, FRS, and GMRS - Which Do I Need?
Ground Mobile Radio Service (GMRS) is a Licensed radio service. Unlike ham radio, a test does not need to be taken to acquire a license, just a form filled out and money sent in. You are then assigned a callsign to use GMRS channels. External antennas are permitted and a higher power output is allowed than for FRS devices. With the assistance of a repeater, they can go 30 miles or further. GMRS and FRS radios can both communicate on channels 1-7, however only GMRS licensees may exceed the half watt FRS power limitation on these channels and use external antennas. GMRS repeaters may not be placed on those channels.

Family Radio Service (FMS) is fairly new, authorized for use in the U.S. The FCC created an unlicensed band of 14 channels for walkie-talkies. They limited power output to 500mW and restricted radios to have non-removable antennas. These radios typically work a mile or two outdoors, largely depending on surrounding terrain and foliage.

All 2-way radios that are capable of using GMRS channels have a license application included in the box. To set an FRS/GMRS radio to operate on GMRS channels, you MUST be a licensed user. It is against the law to transmit on GMRS channels without a license and there is a large fine for doing so.

There are no products matching the selection

This is a custom CMS block displayed if category is empty.
You can replace it with any custom content.